Mobile PR: Deliver Your News on the Go
We are living in a mobile world, and if you’re not adapting, you’re yesterday’s news. In the age of digital marketing, we must adapt our news distribution to the way people receive information on the go.
Mobile PR is a game changer. In addition to where we distribute our news, we have to understand how to deliver it so that it’s mobile friendly — taking advantage of the latest technology so the user experience is seamless.
Today’s successful public relations programs are optimized, publicized, socialized and mobilized to report news on the spot 24/7, telling your story to the mobile market. In this market, content is served up via mobile apps through social networks such as Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn. So understanding how people behave in a mobile environment gives us cues in how to optimize the news experience.
Is your business ready for mobile public relations?
Mobile PR: A Fluid Content Strategy
Rising mobile usage gives brands the ability to be seen anywhere at at any time. Consider this: TVs get turned off, newspapers get thrown away. Mobile is the only channel that is with users everywhere they go, any time of day.
Add to that the need for responsive design, which creates a seamless experience for your audience no matter what type of screen they use (tablet, mobile, laptop or computer), and you can begin to see how mobile PR affects every part of your news distribution.
And it’s not just how your audience is accessing your news, it’s how you’re telling your story via the channels available. Mobile users want an engaging experience unique to the mobile device. Enter the visual social media boom like Instagram and online magazine platforms like Flipboard. Both of these offer visually engaging, mobile-friendly ways to tell your brand’s story.
Mobile PR: Be a Roving Reporter
Mobile PR is social, rapid and measurable. The trick is being in the right place at the right time, ready to be found by the people who matter — your audience, online influencers and journalists who will share your story on the spot.
Just look at how mobile is changing our lives and the face of PR:
- Nine out of 10 mobile searches lead to action; over half lead to purchase, according to a Search Engine Land article highlighting the results of a 2010 study by Google.
- In the 2014 Mobile News Survey by TEKGROUP International, 81 percent of survey respondents indicated they either frequently (57.8 percent) or always (25.4 percent) use mobile technologies to follow or monitor news and information. And, 61 percent said they frequently (48.5 percent) or always (12.4 percent) share or recommend news from their mobile device. In 2012, only 14 percent answered “every time” when asked how they use mobile; in 2014, it has jumped 25 percent.
- Almost 80 percent spend more than 1 hour a day reading news on mobile devices.
- Company news and information draw in 73 percent of mobile users to the online corporate newsroom.
- 30 percent of time on mobile apps is dominated by social networking, according to data found in a presentation by HubSpot in 2012.
- 82 percent (and growing) of the leading brands are active on Instagram, according to SimplyMeasured in 2014 and the average engagement per post grew by 83% in Q4 2014 compared to just over one year ago.
The Buyer Group asks, is your public relations program mobile savvy?
The Buyer Group: Mobile PR Pros
The roles are changing in public relations; the “mobile” publicist must know what technology and platform is best to deliver a brand’s story. This requires a whole new way of creating and distributing content. The advantage is reaching your audience anywhere at any time in a way that’s trackable and measurable.
The Buyer Group can assess your PR program to ensure it’s mobile ready, or help you create one from scratch. Whether it’s a multiscreen/mobile PR audit, special project, mobile news training or consulting, we’re ready to put your news on the go.
Lisa Buyer is the founder of The Buyer Group, and is an industry thought leader in the area of mobile PR. With more than 50 conferences, webinars and workshops under her belt, Lisa can be found teaching, speaking and writing for various search and social marketing media outlets across the United States.
As a frequent speaker, Lisa has keynoted conferences and shared panels with representatives from Google, Microsoft and Digg as well as search and social thought leaders such as Brett Tabke, Marty Weintraub, Greg Jarboe, Cindy Krum, Michael Martin and Sarah Evans. Lisa is an adjunct professor at the University of Florida and has been on the faculty of @ClickZ, an instructor for the University of San Francisco’s online Advanced Social Media certificate program and for Online Marketing Institute (OMI.)
Mobile PR: The Buyer Group Skill Set
Ready to make your news mobile? Here’s just a few things we can do for you:
- Mobile PR Training, Speaking and Moderating for agencies and brands.
- Mobile PR strategy and audits.
- Mobile PR content strategies and distribution channels.
- Mobile PR newsrooms.
- Visual social media marketing #VSMM.
- Mobile PR analytics and measurement.
To find out more about The Buyer Group’s services, please contact us today.
Want to stay on top of Social PR? Subscribe to Social PR Chat for the latest trends, news and events reported by Lisa Buyer and her team.